Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Being prepared

One day last week I saw a picture of several police officers standing out side of the L.A. temple. It affected me in a way I didn't expect. I think I live in a bubble and forget what is going on around me. Several thoughts and emotions went through my mind. One of them that has kept nagging at me is that I need to be prepared. Prepared temporally and spiritually. The signs of the times are showing them selves. The world is getting to be a scary place.
We are not prepared for an emergency or natural disaster at all. It seems to always be the last thing on my long list of things to do.
So, as I was trying to figure out what to teach about for family home evening, I decided we would get our 72 hour kits started. I found a list of items we would need on the internet. Riley and I went to Walmart to do our grocery shopping and grabbed a few of the items on the list.
I talked to the kids about some of the different emergencies that could happen. I didn't want to freak them out. They were pretty funny, asking how we would go to the bathroom, or that we could hunt deer if we were hungry. Yeah, cause I see deer on Sahara all the time, don't you? I wanted them to understand if we do our part to be prepared, Heavenly Father will take care of us. It went well and I think they will feel a little more prepared if something was to happen.
It is my goal to get our kits completely stocked with in the next couple of weeks. Then we will work on our 1 year supply. As I have pondered about this all week, I think there really is a reason why we are were we are right now. Maybe it is so we can get all of this taken care of now when we can afford to. Or to really remember that these things are more important than a big beautiful house and fun toys. (Not that I have any problem with any of those things, or people who have them. :) I am so grateful for the knowledge we have and for the prophet and his teachings and guidance.

Luke and Riley putting some of the supplies in the bins.

I love the look on Chloe's face. And that she sat there holding my scriptures the whole time.

We ended the night with brownies. So yummy!
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Michelle said...

Good job on following through with your prompting. I continually feel like I should be more prepared as well but it seems like such a daunting task. Maybe you could put your list on your blog:) Thanks for the reminder to get my butt moving!

Sheri said...

That is something also on my to do list that seems to always be pushed to the side. Thanks for the blog, maybe thats what I needed to read to get me in gear again.

Mikki said...

Great FHE idea! I'm another one who needs to get busy on this, it's been on my mind all year.

Laurie Mitton said...

This is really strange as Rod and I were driving to the doctor yesterday. We spoke about the economy, and working on our 72 hr kits, I reminded him that, we haven't done this since, Emilee was born, -k- not that has been 8 years, But time does fly. So we decided that we were going to buy each person, a back pack and load it with our kit supplies and hang them in an easy to grab spot along with a few bins. Funny how you did it just yesterday & that's what we talked about on our drive and waiting to go back. Great FHE!! WAY TO GO!!!

Mandi A. said...

my brother made one and fit it all in a backpack (except for water, but he did have those purification thingys, so I guess that counts) I need to get his list and do one. Good job getting your started!

Nicole said...

you are such a good mom! love the fhe idea. matthew's got class on monday nights so fhe is all me, yeah we have ice cream that's about it! i'll need to copy your idea.

Mandi said...

I agree, it's so important to be prepared. I so need to get on that. WE haven't been very good about getting prepared. Thanks for the post. I am glad your FHE went really well.

The Foulgers said...

That is a really great FHE idea. It is so important to be prepared! I always used the excuse that I had no where to store it, but my SIL in Vegas stores it under her kids' beds. I'm glad your evening was a success!

themechams said...

Way to go other Mechams! We just refreshed our water for our 72 hour kits. I have a backpack filled for each of us with all of the essentials.
Tif bennion has come up with the 10 by 10 meal idea for getting a 3 mo supply. It is soooo easy to do and if you get afew friends in on it you could have a list of 12 months of dinners fairly quickly.
I have my and Tif's recipes if you want them.
C

Carol Swift said...

Lots and lots of years ago we bought some beans for our food storage. We moved those big containers from one house to the other each time we moved. They were at least 20 years old when I tried to cook them--they never, ever got soft enough to eat. :o) Moral of the story--make sure you rotate that food storage and only buy stuff you will eat. I need to update all my backpacks, so thanks for this great reminder.

Shayla said...

Good for you! We've also been feeling an increased need to be more prepared. That is why we've decided to put most of our Christmas money towards food storage and such. Good thing our boys are too young to recognize a lack of presents!

BTW, I just spent a good 45 minutes catching up on your blog posts. I just have one thing to say: You are an awesome mom! How do you do it all?!