Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving party

I was able to help out in Riley's class today with their little party. I got their early. It was fun to see Riley interact with the other kids and just watch her play. Chloe was in heaven. They let her be part of the class. She is just as tall as most of the kids in there so she really fit in well. It was sad to see how many kids don't understand English though.
We made some cute little turkey cookies for the party. It's hard to see them, but it's just a fudge striped cookie with candy corn as the feathers and a kiss as the turkey head. Stuck on there with chocolate frosting.

Practicing their sewing.

Chowing down.

That is one full mouth!

I've been thinking a lot this week that I really do have so much to be thankful for...
My family, extended and my kids and husband!! They really make life joyful!!
My health and a body that works well. As I've been going to physical therapy over the last few weeks I realize some people can barely walk or use their limbs at all.
Darren's steady job!!
A nice family car, clothes that fit and keep us warm. Living here has made me see how truly blessed we are to have all of these luxuries!
The gospel and all of the church leaders who guide us in the right way!
Living in a free country where men are serving to protect us and that right to be free.
Last, but not least, great friends who blog!! Have a great Thanksgiving!!!

Ok, super long post...I wanted to post 2 of my famous dishes that I make for the holiday.
Corn Casserole
1 small onion chopped
1/2 bell pepper diced
1/2 cup butter
1 can whole kernel corn(undrained)
1 can cream corn
3 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 cup grated cheese
1 8 oz pkg Jiffy corn muffin mix
saute onion and bell pepper in the butter. Mix the corn, eggs and jiffy mix in a bowl. Pour onions and pepper and the left over butter into bowl. Mix and pour into a baking dish. Drop spoon fulls of sour cream into mixture and slightly swirl in. Top with cheese and bake at 350 for 25 min.
(I usually at least double the recipe)

Sweet Potatoes
peel and boil about 6 yams or sweet potatoes
then mash and add:
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/3 c butter
1/2 c milk
1 tsp vanilla
mix together and pour into greased baking dish and cover with:
1 c brown sugar
1/3 c butter melted
1 c chopped pecans
1/3 c flour
mix and top
bake at 350 for 30 minutes
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Michelle said...

It's true there really is so much to be thankful for. That's nice that she got a Thanksgiving party. I was never that nice when I taught.

The Foulgers said...

You do have a lot to be thankful for. I'm going to have to try you sweet potatoes recipe, those are our favorite! Happy Thanksgiving!

Mikki said...

Thanks for the recipes!! these sound yummy.
I love your thankful post, such a good reminder of all that we take for granted.

Nicole said...

happy thanksgiving! riley and chloe look adorable. it looks like riley's taking to the pre-k class better, that's great!

Cherine said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Oh and thanks for the recipes. i will have to try it!!!! =)

Mandi Roth said...

Great post. There are so many things to be thankful for. I know I have a lot.

themechams said...

Missy, We went to the Ellsworth's yesterday and my assignment was to bring everything except the turkey. Sunny and I decided that only a few of us would even eat sweet potatoes, so only make a few. I tried your recipe, but cut it in half. So as it turns out it was a huge hit. It was the first thing gone and everyone was wishing there was more!