Monday, May 4, 2009

The BIG race

A picture of the time on the way to the race. Yes, that is 4:40 AM. Darren kept saying only crazy people get up this early to run 13 or 26 miles!
It was freezing, and just the walk to the shuttle was at least a mile or more.
I had to laugh when I saw the shuttle was a school bus.
We made sure to hit the port a potty before going to the start line. So did the other 8,000 people entered in the race. I couldn't believe the DJ when he said there were that many people entered.
It seemed like we waited forever for 6:30 to come, and then they said we would be starting about 5 min late. That turned into 8 minutes because a helicopter was coming over to take a picture of us all.
It was exciting and all, but I wanted to get the race done!

A picture of us before we got all sweaty and exhausted.
We finally got started, it took about 2 minutes just to get to the start line. It thinned out quickly and everyone got their pace. Darren sped of in front of me.
It was so cold, I thought I would be fine to run in my long sleeves. By mile 2 I was peeling it off. Making me put my GU and chap stick in my sports bra and having to take the ipod off and replace
it, all while still running. Then I realized my number is now on my behind and not my shirt, oh well. I forgot how bad the humidity makes me sweat.
We heard the course only had one hill. Boy was that a lie. There were so many of them and the roads were all cracked and uneven.
It was a beautiful place to run though. We went right through Newport beach. It was so cool to see all the people who lived there come out and cheer us on.
I saw some crazy things throughout the run. One lady when off to the side when we were running through a wetland, and peed right there, she didn't even hide behind a bush. Now, that is hard core! There were some funny Phoebe, from Friends type runners too.
Mile 6-8 just flew by and I was in the groove. Then the most humongous hill I have ever seen came at mile 9 and a half. It was awful! Once I got half way up I had to walk!
By mile 12 I was pretty spent. My knees had never hurt so badly!
I saw a sign that said, "pain is temporary, your time is on the internet forever!" I love it! I kept on going, knowing the end was in sight.
Mile 13, gosh that last .1 mile seemed like it took forever!
It was complete chaos at the finish line. I was kind of disappointed in my time. Then I heard the DJ announce right after that the first finisher for the full was just finishing. What the heck!
My official time was 2 hours, 22 minutes and 11 seconds. After thinking about it for the rest of the day and seeing on the website, that I finished right in the middle, I am pretty dang proud of myself for my first attempt on such a hard feat!
Darren of course, kicked my butt. His official time was 2 hours, 11 min, but he waited for the potty for 10 minutes. So he is calling it 2 hours and 1 minute.
It was a great experience.
Until we left and couldn't remember where we parked. Who pays attention to that at 4:40 in the morning?
We walked like 2 miles just looking for the dang thing.
We are both pretty dang sore today. My knees barely hold me up. I feel so old.
I think my system is just beat down. I now have a cold or a sinus infection. What ever it is, I feel like crap.
When I get feeling better, a new training begins. What is in the works?
-thinking about the half at Disneyland over Labor Day weekend
-would like to start a little running group
-tossing around the idea of the full marathon here in Vegas in December- or just the half
Anyone want to join me??
Darren- he has decided to never run another race in his lifetime!

13 comments:

Melody said...

I am so tempted to run again! I was told I should never run...but I am missing it!You did great and I am so glad you accomplished your goal and are looking for future goals to achieve!!!Wonderful Job Missy!!!

Mandi Roth said...

I am so proud of you and Darren!! Awesome job! I don't know that i would have gotten up that early though! ha ha!! Isn't it funny to watch other people!

Danielle said...

Darren cracks me up!! Good job Missy! One day I will be with you! I am going to start with 5K's though! You go girl!!

Mandi A. said...

Are you kidding me? your time was awesome for your 1st race! i love that your already planning the next one :o)

I think Im taking the summer off and doing the full in dec. Its way too hard to train for a fall race in the Vegas heat! and dont get me started on brian and his thoughts about it all!

I looked at the training team at red rock running club for the full but last year it was $360...no way i can afford that! (and it doesnt include the redistration fees)

Kathleen Mecham said...

I talked to Cherise the other day and she said that you guys had a blast. How come nobody is discussing the photo of Darren. He is shredded, Steroids or P90-x?
Maybe just a good angle. (Missy always looks good, toes excluded so no need for comment)

Erin+Marc = Ethan&Aidan said...

Disneyland fo sure!!! I think that will be my first half:) I have already assumed that you and Kylie would be with me to show me the ropes and offer protection when I pee! LOL I bought a Running Mag and it indicates that your not a TRUE runner until you poop your pants on a run?! This has made me nervous, but don't worry, I won't stop now. YES, YES, YES to a Running blog;) And finally, I want to tell you how proud I am of you! Your time was great!!!

Amber and Co. said...

Congrats! I think just running and completing the race is HUGE accomplishment, wtg! That is so funny what Darren said. I hope you get to feeling better really soon!

Russell Family said...

Ok, the peeing story is too funny! That's disgusting!

Congrats!!! I'm so excited for you, it must feel great to have one under your belt! Your time is really good for a first half!

I'm seriously thinking about the half at Disneyland...if I can talk Paul into it.

Michelle said...

Congratulations!! What a great experience...and to get to do it with Darren too.

The Foulgers said...

Congratulations Missy! I think your time was great. What a huge accomplishment, you should be really proud of yourself and Darren.

Shayla said...

You are amazing. That's all there is to it.

Nicole said...

You guys are awesome, Great job girl!

Kathleen Mecham said...

We need more nasty toe and bleeding male nipple pictures to get a true idea of what a fun sport this is:0)