Saturday, December 12, 2009

Marathon

The big day I have been training for started at 4:30am for me. I was actually surprised at how well I slept the night before because I was so nervous! I was so afraid my alarm wouldn't go off, I checked it 4 times and had D set his alarm also.
Darren took me to the start so I wouldn't have to deal with parking. We left a little later than planned and with traffic being horrendous, I almost didn't make it in time. Luckily, even though the start was at 6:15, my corral didn't get across the start line till 6:50. Thank goodness for cell phones, I would've never found Mandi and her cousin in the sea of 27,000 other crazy runners. I took at pic of Mandi and I at the start, but it didn't turn out so great. I will tell you it was so dang cold though! I ended up wearing thermal bottoms under my running capris, gloves, and a thermal shirt over my running tank. All of which I kept on the entire time. Although, I had to take my gloves off early on because they got wet from my water bottle, and I ended up taking someone elses gloves from the ground. (inside out)
I felt pretty good for the first half, and we made pretty good time. I was able to call and text Darren throughout to update him as to where we were and to find out where he and the fam were.
Here is my awesome family waiting, and waiting for me.

Can you tell they were bored?


Matt and Jodie and their kids came too. Which was such a surprise to me. I was so happy to see them!
We weren't quite prepared for the hills.(you never are) My quads started cramping up pretty badly around mile 14 or 15. Mandi even had to try and massage em' for me. (what a friend)
Then, she started having stomach problems and cramping. We had to slow down a bit, and even walk a little here and there. Once I got to mile 23 I was feeling pretty good. The adrenaline was pumping through me. I kept hearing this would happen and was pretty skeptical about it.

This is mile 26.1 where we saw my fam and the Melton's. I knew I was gonna cry, but didn't expect it to be before I finished. I looked at Mandi and we were both tearin' up. It was the best place possible for them to be!


Here we are getting ready to cross the finish line.



WE DID IT!! 5 hrs 13 min. A little longer than we hoped, but dang it, who cares, WE DID IT!!

My mouth is full of bagel right here.
This is a bad pic but I had to put it on. Luke was so cute! He was just so proud. He couldn't stop hugging me and looking at my medal. I asked him if he was as proud of me as I was of him getting baptized and he just smiled.


Luke really loved the emergency blanket too. It was still so cold out!

Me and D. I'm sure he is so glad this is all over with! I took a lot of time away from home to train. I am so grateful for all of his support and help!
I loved every minute of it. (maybe not getting up at 5 am every Saturday)
I can't even explain the the feeling of crossing that finish line. I am so proud of myself and Mandi. We were a team through it all.
I felt good until I got out of the car at home. Everything had stiffened up. I went right to the bathroom with my big bag of ice. I am pretty sure the ice bath was worse than running the marathon. It really helps though, and I had a really long warm shower after that.
I ate and had a pretty nice nap after that. Darren and my mother in law spoiled me that day. It was nice to just do nothing. By Wednesday I was feeling pretty normal again. Not too bad of a recovery!
I would love to do another full someday. For now I need to focus on other things though. I will probably do a few halfs this year, because shoot, what's 13 miles now? haha I am excited to get back to taking classes at the gym also.

11 comments:

Mandi A. said...

we did it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kara said...

Great job Missy! That is so awesome that you accomplished that.

Russell Family said...

I'm so proud of you!!! Way to go!!!

. said...

Congratulations! What an amazing accomplishment!

Nicole said...

you are AAAAAAAmazing! wow, i love how you say in mile 14 or 15 your leg started cramping. haha, i'd be dying in the first mile. :)

The Foulgers said...

Congratulations! That is so awesome! What a huge accomplishment. Make sure you plan on at least one of those halves being in Utah!:)

Melody said...

Missy, the best thing is you had a goal, you set it, and achieved it! thats what life is about, taking the bull by the horns and never looking back!! your kids have an amazing role model!! Make a new goal... something completely different and conquer it!! SO happy for you!!

Nicole said...

Missy you are amazing!

Mandi Roth said...

You are amazing!! Glad you had Mandi to do it with. Great team work. I'm glad you had the support of friends and family there. Your an amazing girl and I love and admire you. Way to reach your goal!!

Jen said...

Missy that is so awesome!!! I am proud of you 4 kids and your out there running a marathon! Your amazing. Maybe your next one should be in St.George and I will run with you!!! Isn't it funny how you tear up at the finish line! But they say that is the closest to death you will ever feel so you better be crying haha!!! Anyway just wanted to tell you great job and that I think you awesome!

iriske said...

This is so cute! And here i offer wedding dresses,making you become the dream-come-true princess in your family.And welcome to wedding dresses online shop.We supply high quality Cheap wedding dresses,Ball Gown Wedding Dresses and other style wedding gowns.We have been dress business for 20 years and you can trust us completely.
Our wedding dress shops have Evening Dresses,Prom Dresses,mother of the bride dresses,A-Line Wedding Dresses,Empire Wedding Dresses,Mermaid Wedding Dresses and so on.You can find your dream Beach Wedding Dresses here.
We do retail and wholesale wedding dresses business.Get your Plus Size Wedding Dresses from wedding dresses uk right now!